seamus dubhghaill

Promoting Irish Culture and History from Little Rock, Arkansas, USA


Leave a comment

Birth of Whitley Stokes, Irish Lawyer & Celtic Scholar

Whitley StokesCSICIEFBA, Irish lawyer and Celtic scholar, is born at 5 Merrion Square, Dublin, on February 28, 1830.

Stokes is a son of William Stokes (1804–78), and a grandson of Whitley Stokes, a physician and anti-Malthusian (1763–1845), each of whom is Regius Professor of Physic at Trinity College Dublin (TCD). His sister, Margaret Stokes, is a writer and archaeologist.

Stokes is educated at St. Columba’s College where he is taught the Irish language by Denis Coffey, author of Primer of the Irish Language. Through his father he comes to know the Irish antiquaries Samuel FergusonEugene O’CurryJohn O’Donovan and George Petrie. He enters Trinity College Dublin in 1846 and graduates with a BA in 1851. His friend and contemporary Rudolf Thomas Siegfried (1830–63) becomes assistant librarian at TCD in 1855, and the college’s first professor of Sanskrit in 1858. Stokes likely learns both Sanskrit and comparative philology from Siegfried, thus acquiring a skill-set rare among Celtic scholars in Ireland at the time.

Stokes qualifies for the bar at Inner Temple. His instructors in the law are Arthur CayleyHugh McCalmont Cairns, and Thomas Chitty. He becomes an English barrister on November 17, 1855, practicing in London before going to India in 1862, where he fills several official positions. In 1865 he marries Mary Bazely by whom he has four sons and two daughters. One of his daughters, Maïve, compiles a book of Indian Fairy Tales in 1879 when she is 12 years old, based on stories told to her by her Indian ayahs and a man-servant. It also includes some notes by Mrs. Mary Stokes. Mary dies while the family is still living in India. In 1877, Stokes is appointed legal member of the viceroy’s council, and he drafts the codes of civil and criminal procedure and does much other valuable work of the same nature. In 1879 he becomes president of the commission on Indian law. Nine books he writes on Celtic studies are published in India. He returns to settle permanently in London in 1881 and marries Elizabeth Temple in 1884. In 1887 he is made a Companion of the Order of the Star of India (CSI), and two years later an Order of the Indian Empire (CIE). He is an original fellow of the British Academy, an honorary fellow of Jesus College, Oxford and foreign associate of the Institut de France.

Stokes is perhaps most famous as a Celtic scholar, and in this field he works both in India and in England. He studies Irish, Breton and Cornish texts. His chief interest in Irish is as a source of material for comparative philology. Despite his learning in Old Irish and Middle Irish, he never acquires Irish pronunciation and never masters Modern Irish. In the hundred years since his death he continues to be a central figure in Celtic scholarship. Many of his editions have not been superseded during this time and his total output in Celtic studies comes to over 15,000 pages. He is a correspondent and close friend of Kuno Meyer from 1881 onwards. With Meyer he establishes the journal Archiv für celtische Lexicographie and is the co-editor, with Ernst Windisch, of the Irische Texteseries. In 1876 his translation of Vita tripartita Sancti Patricii, along with a written introduction, is published.

In 1862 Stokes is awarded the Cunningham Medal by the Royal Irish Academy.

Stokes dies at his London home, 15 Grenville Place, Kensington, on April 13, 1909, and is buried in Paddington Old Cemetery, Willesden Lane, where his grave is marked by a Celtic cross. Another Celtic cross is erected as a memorial to him at St. Fintan’s Cemetery, Sutton, Dublin. The Gaelic League newspaper An Claidheamh Soluis calls him “the greatest of the Celtologists” and expresses pride that an Irishman has excelled in a field which is at that time dominated by continental scholars. In 1929 the Canadian scholar James F. Kenney describes him as “the greatest scholar in philology that Ireland has produced, and the only one that may be ranked with the most famous of continental savants.”

A conference entitled “Ireland, India, London: The Tripartite Life of Whitley Stokes” takes place at the University of Cambridge on September 18-19, 2009. The event is organised to mark the centenary of Stokes’s death. A volume of essays based on the papers delivered at this conference, The Tripartite Life of Whitley Stokes (1830–1909), is published by Four Courts Press in autumn 2011.

In 2010 Dáibhí Ó Cróinín publishes Whitley Stokes (1830–1909): The Lost Celtic Notebooks Rediscovered, a volume based on the scholarship in Stokes’s 150 notebooks which had been resting unnoticed at the Leipzig University LibraryLeipzig since 1919.


Leave a comment

Birth of Goddard Henry Orpen, Lawyer & Historian

Goddard Henry Orpen, lawyer and historian, is born in Dublin on May 8, 1852, the fourth son of the five sons and three daughters of John Herbert Orpen, barrister, of Dublin, and Ellen Susanna Gertrude Richards, youngest daughter of Rev. John Richards of Grange, County Wexford.

For most of his childhood Orpen’s family lives at 58 St. Stephen’s Green. He is educated at Abbey CBS, a Christian Brothers secondary school in Tipperary, County Tipperary, and in 1869 enters Trinity College Dublin (TCD), where he displays early academic aptitude, obtaining exhibitions and scholarships and being elected a foundation scholar. He graduates BA with first-class honours in 1873 and four years later is called to the English bar at the Inner Temple, London.

On August 18, 1880, in St. Peter’s Church, Aungier Street, Dublin, Orpen marries Adela Elizabeth Richards, the daughter and heiress of Edward Moore Richards, engineer and the landlord of Grange, County Wexford. Adela is his first cousin once removed, her great-grandfather and his grandfather being the Rev. John Richards. They live for two decades after their marriage at Bedford Park, Chiswick, London, with their daughter Lilian Iris (b. 1883) and son Edward Richards (b. 1884). Soon after their marriage, he begins taking lessons in the Irish language in line with his passionate interest in Irish historical and antiquarian research, which gradually supplants his languishing legal career. He translates and edits a French rhymed chronicle about the Anglo-Norman conquest of Ireland, entitled The Song of Dermot and the Earl (1892), the title which he gives it and by which it has since generally been known in English. He also translates Émile de Laveleye‘s Le Socialisme Contemporain (The Socialism of Today, 1884), to which he adds a chapter on English socialism.

After Adela’s father transfers ownership of his estate to her in 1900, now renamed Monksgrange, the Orpens reluctantly leave London to live there, enabling Orpen to devote his time fully to research and writing. His major work is Ireland Under the Normans (Vols. 1–2, 1911; Vols. 3–4, 1920), which argue that the Norman invasion benefited the Irish, leading to advances in agriculture and trade.

Both before and after his death Orpen’s work is the subject of hostile criticism from those with more nationalist inclinations, starting with Eoin MacNeill in a series of lectures delivered in 1917. Despite his own eminence as a scholar of medieval Ireland, MacNeill resorts to unfair polemic in his attack on Orpen, caricaturing his account of pre-Norman Irish society and disregarding the more subtle nuances in his views of the English Irish relationship. In this he has been followed by generations of other scholars and readers, overlooking the depth of Orpen’s research, the perceptiveness of his interpretations, and the extent of his fieldwork on the archaeological evidence from the medieval period. Orpen takes the study of Anglo-Norman Ireland out of the realm of vague antiquarianism and professionalises it. His standards are not those of “the gentleman-amateur” as might be expected from his background, but of the twentieth century “scientific” historian, and he is therefore now widely regarded as the founder of the professional study of Anglo-Norman Ireland. Perhaps the most striking evidence of the continued validity and relevance of his work is that his four-volume Ireland Under the Normans has been twice republished in more recent years, in 1968 by Oxford University Press and in 2002 in a one-volume version by Four Courts Press.

Orpen is elected a member of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland (RSAI), serving as president in 1930–32), and the Royal Irish Academy (RIA) (1911), and contributes historical articles to their journals as well as to periodicals such as The American Historical Review (1913–14) and The Cambridge Medieval History (1932, 1936). A lecture to the New Ross Literary Society is later published as New Ross in the Thirteenth Century (1911). He also contributes a major chapter on the medieval church to the second volume of Walter Alison Phillips‘s History of the Church of Ireland (1934). Though his literary work is recognised by an honorary doctorate from TCD in 1921, he feels increasingly isolated as Monksgrange is targeted during the Irish Civil War and raided on several occasions. On religion he lists himself as an agnostic in the 1911 census.

Orpen’s final work is The Orpen Family, a personal family history printed for private circulation in 1930. A portrait of Orpen (above) by Seán O’Sullivan hangs in Monksgrange.

Orpen dies on May 15, 1932, at Monksgrange, and is buried alongside his wife Adela in St. Anne’s Churchyard, Killanne, County Wexford. His very extensive papers, including correspondence, manuscripts and drawings, as well as records and papers of the Orpen family, are held at Monksgrange. Included there is a very large collection of his photographs, a skill in which he notably distinguishes himself. A small collection of his correspondence is also held in the National Library of Ireland (NLI).

(From: “Orpen, Goddard Henry” by Philip Bull, Dictionary of Irish Biography, http://www.dib.ie, October 2009, revised March 2021 | Pictured: Portrait of Goddard Henry Orpen by Seán O’Sullivan)